<$BlogRSDURL$>
thoughtsnips
Thursday, May 20, 2004
 
Types of Dances: fast salsa; slow ballroom; and extremely tortuous Kerry dance around issues

Question: What is your position on Bush's fight to ban gay marriages?

Kerry: I believe that the president of the United States should not use the Constitution of the United States for election purposes during an election year. It's a document that we haven't touched, certainly with respect to the Bill of Rights, in years, and I don't think it should be used for the purpose of driving a political wedge through America. I think it's wrong. Now, that said, I personally have taken the position I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. That's my position, and I think that's the way you respect both traditional values. But you can allow civil unions, which protects the rights of people in America not to be discriminated against. And I think you can balance that, and I think it's appropriate to. But I do think that it ought to be left to the states.

Hat Tip: Slate's Kerryism of the Day

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger